Thursday, February 19, 2009

Current Tea Trends


A few fabulous tea trends were on display at the Fancy Food Show in San Francisco recently. According to a lucky correspondant (how do I get a job that sends me to Fancy Food Shows?) who attended the conference, some of the trends include:
  • Teas meant for booze: bags that are steeped in alcohol, then mixed with other ingredients. (!!) The "mojito mint" as described is steeped in rum, then mixed with mint leaves, sugar, etc. This sounds awesome, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not sure how well tea would steep if the alcohol were cold! I've always wanted to try making tea cocktails, though. These cocktail teas are made by Zhena's Gypsy Tea (previously known to me only as "one of those expensive tea companies") and will be available at Whole Foods.

  • Tea in bar form. As in, power bars. Weird?

  • Special iced tea brewing pitchers that have separate compartments for ice and hot tea, which are then mixed. Nice!


Some tea trends I'D like to see:
  • Affordable teapots like coffeepots that brew strong tea and keep it warm all day. Maybe these exist, but I haven't really found them.

  • Mix-your-own tea stores with bins of leaves and flowers and flavorings.

  • More tea-infused alcohols!

  • Bottled UNSWEETENED tea like they have in Japan in vending machines.


Read the full story on tea trends at the Fancy Food Show here.

No comments: